Locals caught a peek inside the gates of Frogmore Cottage today – just days before Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are due to return to Britain.
The Sussexes recently renewed their lease on the property in Windsor, in an unexpected move that sparked speculation that they may have plans for more frequent visits to the UK in future.
But it comes amid reports that the couple are not anticipated to visit the Queen at Balmoral next month amid an ongoing row about their security with the Home Office.
Meghan spoke this week of how ‘surreal’ it was to go back to Frogmore when she and Harry returned to Britain for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.
The pair only attended one major event across the weekend in June – and spent most of their time at the property, packing up their belongings.
A piece in New York Magazine reports Meghan recalling: ‘You go back and you open drawers and you’re like, Oh my gosh. This is what I was writing in my journal there? And here’s all my socks from this time?’
The article suggested she collected her sofa, art posters collected while travelling with friends, and thrown into ‘good old Ikea frames’, which was described as ‘a past message from a single self she hadn’t fully wanted to leave behind’.
They also celebrated daughter Lilibet’s first birthday with a casual picnic in the gardens of the house.
Locals caught a peek inside the gates of Frogmore Cottage today – just days before Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are due to return to Britain
The Sussexes (pictured in New York last month) recently renewed their lease on the property in Windsor, in an unexpected move that sparked speculation that they may have plans for more frequent visits to the UK in future
Harry and Meghan have allowed Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank to use the five-bedroom house while they live in their £13m Californian mansion, but sources said recently the renewal of the lease is ‘a signal that they aren’t going to disappear’.
An insider told the Sun earlier this year: ‘By agreeing to extend the lease, and with Jack and Eugenie focusing on Portugal, they have a firm prescence smack bang in the middle of Windsor court where it’s all happening.
‘They can now come and go any time they please. The coming year could be one of the most tumultuous in royal history and the Sussexes are making sure they have a foothold in Windsor.’
The couple are back in the UK next week for a number of events, but are said to not be planning to attending Balmoral, the Scottish Highlands estate where the Queen is expected to remain for the next few weeks as concerns grow over her mobility issues.
The Telegraph understands the couple are still waiting on decisions around their security while in the UK before they decide if they travel off schedule. A Home Office panel is also set to decide whether they qualify for protection by the Met Police.
On September 5, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will travel from their home in California to visit Manchester for the One Young World Summit, where Meghan will give the keynote address at the opening ceremony.
The couple will then head to Germany for an event to commemorate a year until the Invictus Games in Dusseldorf on September 6, before returning to the UK for the WellChild Awards in London on September 8 where Prince Harry – a long-term patron of the charity – will deliver a speech.
It is believed that September 7 is then not taken up with any engagements, meaning they could go and visit family.
But it is believed that like when the US-based couple were in the UK in June, when they kept a low profile, they will spend much of their time at Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. Harry, 37, last saw his Grandmother during her Platinum Jubilee, where he reportedly only had around 15 minutes with her.
They also visited in April, when they secretly met with Prince Charles and the Queen on their way to the Netherlands.
After this trip, the Duke spoke about ensuring his grandmother has ‘the right people around her’ when he appeared to make a swipe at royal household staff during an interview with NBC including the so-called ‘men in grey suits’ who advise the Queen.
This latest news comes as warring brothers Prince William and Prince Harry will reportedly not mark the 25th anniversary of Diana’s death on Wednesday together – neither in public or private.
Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd
Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group