Stock Market Today: Dow Flat, Other Indexes Gain On Mixed Data – Investor's Business Daily

BREAKING: Futures Fall As Fed Meeting Kicks Off Today

The stock market weakened but still posted gains by early afternoon trading amid nervousness over the Fed’s annual meeting in Jackson Hole, Wyo. In a tale of two software companies, Salesforce (CRM) plunged while Snowflake (SNOW) soared on earnings in the stock market today.
The Nasdaq composite gained 1% and the S&P 500 added 0.7%. The small-cap Russell 2000 index outperformed as well, lifting 1%. The Dow Jones Industrial Average lagged but still eked out a gain of 0.2%.
Volume rose on the Nasdaq and the NYSE vs. the same time on Wednesday.
Today starts the annual three-day Jackson Hole Symposium, with all eyes on Fed Chairman Jerome Powell’s speech on Friday morning. Investors hope to glean some insight into the Fed’s next rate hike. Markets now see a 60.5% chance of a 75-basis-point hike in September, vs. a 39.5% likelihood the Fed will boost rates by 50 basis points.
Revised second-quarter GDP came in at a decline of 0.6% vs. the consensus of a 0.9% drop. The Annualized Personal Consumption Expenditures rate rose 1.5%, up from the prior report showing 1%.
Initial jobless claims were 243,000 in the week ending Aug. 20, vs. the consensus forecast for 245,000, a small positive sign for the job market. Initial claims decreased by 2,000, the same decrease as the prior week.
“Good news from the data in hand still don’t cancel out the concerning messages of forward-looking indicators,” said Bill Adams, chief economist for Comerica Bank. “These include dismal business and consumer surveys, the inverted yield curve, the drop in the Leading Economic Index, falling housing indicators, and energy futures contracts, which anticipate a surge in natural gas and electricity prices this winter. The U.S. economy weathered the shocks of the first of 2022 better than feared, but the worst is probably not over.”
The 10-year Treasury dropped two basis points to 3.07%.
U.S. crude oil prices fell 0.5% to $94.40 a barrel.
Salesforce cut its fiscal 2023 revenue outlook, citing currency exchange rates and slowing demand from retail and telecom customers. CRM stock tumbled more than 5% Thursday. Salesforce late Wednesday reported July-quarter earnings that fell from a year earlier but topped Wall Street targets.
Snowflake reported July-quarter revenue that handily beat Wall Street views. Guidance came in above expectations, sending the software stock soaring 22% Thursday. The move would be the largest percentage increase on record since its IPO in September 2020.
Snowflake said second-quarter revenue jumped 83% to $497.2 million from a year earlier. Analysts had estimated Snowflake revenue at $467.5 million. Revenue climbed 85% and 101% in the two previous quarters.
Discount retailers Dollar Tree (DLTR) and Dollar General (DG) reported earnings Thursday morning. Dollar Tree slashed its full-year outlook, while Dollar General beat estimates.
In stock market action today, DLTR stock fell more than 10%, its seventh down day in a row. It would be the longest losing streak since Oct. 31, 2019, when it fell for seven straight trading days. DG fell 1.5% Thursday.
Dick’s Sporting Goods (DKS) topped earnings estimates and raised its full-year guidance Tuesday. The Pennsylvania-based retailer has recovered some ground since slashing forecasts in May, amid rising costs. DKS stock jumped.
Dick’s shares have climbed steadily off a late-May low, overtaking both their 10-week and 40-week moving averages.
Late Wednesday, chipmaker Nvidia (NVDA) reported a 44% sequential decline in gaming revenue for the second quarter. Total revenue of $6.7 billion was much lower than the company’s lowered guidance of $8.1 billion. The company also lowered its fiscal third-quarter estimates to $5.9 billion, 17% lower than the same quarter last year. Nonetheless, shares in Nvidia jumped more than 2% Thursday.
Peloton (PTON) plunged nearly 20% after reporting a Q2 miss on both EPS and sales. The stock move wiped out all of the previous day’s gains, when Peleton announced it started selling its fitness equipment and apparel on Amazon.com (AMZN).
The Innovator IBD 50 ETF (FFTY) outperformed with a 1% gain. IBD 50 stocks Axcelis Technologies (ACLS) and CF Industries (CF) topped buy points.
Follow Michael Molinski on Twitter @IMmolinski
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Is It Time To Sell GLD Stock As Recession, Inflation Ease?
Get Full Access To IBD Stock Lists And Ratings
Is XOM A Buy Now After Q2 Earnings?
Get Free IBD Newsletters: Market Prep | Tech Report | How To Invest
Fed Chief Powell Expected To Say This, But Market Rallies; 5 Stocks In Buy Zones
9/20/2022 Track the latest news, trends and leading stocks in the retail and e-commerce industries.
9/20/2022 Track the latest news, trends and leading stocks in the…
Biotechs are making remarkable strides in clinical testing, and biotech stocks are outperforming the rest of the market. (© Chris Gash)
Get instant access to exclusive stock lists, expert market analysis and powerful tools with 2 months of IBD Digital for only $20!
Get market updates, educational videos, webinars, and stock analysis.
Learn how you can make more money with IBD’s investing tools, top-performing stock lists, and educational content.
Notice: Information contained herein is not and should not be construed as an offer, solicitation, or recommendation to buy or sell securities. The information has been obtained from sources we believe to be reliable; however no guarantee is made or implied with respect to its accuracy, timeliness, or completeness. Authors may own the stocks they discuss. The information and content are subject to change without notice.
*Real-time prices by Nasdaq Last Sale. Realtime quote and/or trade prices are not sourced from all markets.
Ownership data provided by Refinitiv and Estimates data provided by FactSet.
© 2000-2022 Investor’s Business Daily, LLC. All rights reserved

source

Leave a Comment

Ads Blocker Image Powered by Code Help Pro

Ads Blocker Detected!!!

Welcome to FactsPrime

Sorry, We have detected that you have activated Ad-Blocker. Please Consider supporting us by disabling your Ad Blocker, It helps us in maintaining this website. To View the content, Please disable adblocker and refresh the page.

Thank You !!!